Monday, June 22, 2009

Pursuit of Happiness...


I watched “The Pursuit of Happiness” with Will Smith this weekend. I have to admit, I didn’t have it on my radar as a must see movie. It appeared that the scope of the movie was already played out in the trailers. I already knew how this movie would end. But it was on, so I watched it while I did a little computer work and laundry.

To my surprise, I was drawn in… completely captivated by this character, Chris Gardner. The portrayal of this man’s life was moving… truly a man tested and purified through fire. From losing his wife, risking a new career, facing social and economical prejudices – this man held me in awe for the love of his child and his actual pursuit to find happiness. Each time he turned around there was another obstacle, as if he played the role of Job himself. What more could a man take, yet hold all composure in the eyes of his son and his employer.

It’s probably true for most of us, that when trial presents itself, we go into self pity mode. Chris Gardner had every right to – yet he fought it and prevailed. He did not let cynical remarks flow off his lips, which could have been so easily justified… yet he thought before he spoke – never lied to cover his personal issues – yet deflected them in a witty manner, which landed him a new career.

So I ran into this guy at the River Market one day…

A true hippy, I thought, as I noticed his long hair, pony tail, dirty nails and tan skin. He had his table set up to sell stones and minerals that promised healing powers and supernatural protections. I’m not into all the ‘hocus-pocus’ behind the power of a rock, but as an artist, I have always been drawn to the symbol of a rock for strength and power, especially in my faith as a Christian. Brooks babbling over rocks, cliffs and bluffs have always stimulated my love for beauty in nature. So, I stopped to see what he had laying about.

I was intrigued by the beauty of each stone. They all had meaning behind them according to him, but their beauty was captivating. The way some glistened and reflected the light – the way some held such a bold defining brilliance. Some were laying about just scattered on the table, while others had been caged in copper wiring to hand delicately as a necklace.

Time was running short, so I thanked him for letting me indulge my eyes in the beauty of his rocks and went about my business.

Several hours later, as I was returning to my car, I walked by his table again. The sun was not beaming hot and most other vendors in the River Market had already closed up shop. But the Rock Man… He was still there. He said, “Hello”, and was again drawn to the beauty that sprawled on the table.

“How much?” I asked, more in a manner of being polite than of actually wanting to purchase. He said, “For you, $4 dollars”. Wow – only four bucks… I could swing that. There was one rock in particular that held my gaze. I asked how much for the pendant and the single matching stone, and he said, “For you, $5 dollars”. Wow, what a bargain. The rocks reminded me of an old friend, so I decided to purchase the pendant and the loose stone. He thanked me kindly, and delicately wrapped each stone in a piece of old worn cloth. I took my treasures and went merrily on my way.

So what does “The Pursuit of Happiness” and the Rock Man have to do with each other?

Well… about 2 weeks after I had purchased the rocks, I saw the Rock Man. But this time he was not at the River Market. He did not have his loot sprawled out for all to see, there was no beautiful sunlight glistening off his display. He was hunched over a bag that appeared to weigh more than he. It was obviously clear that what I had mistaken as a hippy appearance was that of a homeless man living on the street.

My mind instantly raced back to the day I saw him at the River Market. He was gentle and well mannered. He was as clean as clean could be, I thought… and to think he was carrying around his income, home, and food wherever he roamed. Chris Gardner came to mind, as he too was homeless at one time. But you never would have known it; just I never suspected it from the Rock Man. I give that man a lot of credit, to preserve these tough times right now. I hope that $5 I gave him provided a hot meal for his belly. Something that seemed so frivolous to me, gave more to him, I am sure. I wish the Rock Man well and do hope that he lands on top through his trials he is facing.

“If you're going through hell, Keep on going, Don't slow down
If you're scared, don't show it, You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there”
~ Rodney Atkins song If You’re Going Through Hell

No comments:

Post a Comment